Sunday, May 9, 2010

In honour of Mother's Day (you did remember, didn't you?) I have decided to re-post something I wrote a few months ago.  It wasn't written with Mother's Day in mind, but I think it's still relevant.


FAITH LIKE POTATO SALAD
I am a pretty good cook, if I do say so myself. My chicken and pasta dishes are quite tasty, and don’t get me started on my Lamb Chops in Garlic and Butternut. Mostly I am self-taught, finding recipes and adapting them to my tastes; but one thing I did learn from my Mother – Potato Salad.

My mother never sat me down and told me “This is the recipe for Potato Salad” for the simple reason that she has no recipe. Instead I watched her for thirty years as she added a little of this, and a little of that until it ‘looked right’. Not the easiest thing to learn, trust me on that. I helped to peel potatoes, and boiled eggs and gradually did more and more until now I can make a decent potato salad. I never asked her to teach me, but it tasted so good, I just couldn’t keep away, and one day had to try it for myself.

Of course my potato salad is slightly different. I prefer to grate the onion with a serrated steak-knife rather than cutting it, and my pieces are smaller. It’s just the way I prefer it. So I learned a great deal from watching, stuff that could be explained, but can only be learned by watching, tasting what works for you, and making mistakes.

My Mother is also probably the reason I am a Christian today. It wasn’t only her potato salad that she showed us over the years, and she made her faith so tasty, that we all chose to try it for ourselves.

Are you making Potato Salad for your kids, and those around you?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say Hoo Ha Ha!