Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Book Review - The Voice


"The Voice™ is the product of the best minds in this emerging generation of Christian leaders. Together they are helping young people fall in love with the Scriptures. Instead of confining God’s Word in the framework of biblical criticism, The Voice™ highlights the beauty of God’s communication to His people"

So says the blurb for this New Testament translation I am reviewing today. 

I agreed to review this book in exchange for a free copy from Thomas Nelson through their Booksneeze programme.  As always, they took a huge risk, because I am not easily impressed.

I was not too sure of this one when I first saw it; I have always believed that we should adapt ourselves to the Bible, not the other way around, and thus am very wary of anything 'new' or 'relevant' in a Biblie.

This is a translation/interpretation of the New Testament, putting it into more poetic language. Don't be fooled into thinking it will be like The Message. The language is still pretty biblical, and not very "slangish" as in some other interpretations. I liked the fact that when words were added in, they were done so in italics, so that it was clear this was an amplification/explanation and not part of the biblical text.

I enjoyed it actually, and could not find anything heretical or blasphemous about it. Just don't treat it as a bible, treat it like a bible companion, and you will be fine. I would still recommend to readers to use another version as their main reference bible, but it makes for a good 'story'.

Much of the language is a little repetitive, and theologically biased.  Such as referring to Jesus as "liberator" all the time, and John as "John the immerser".  But nothing struck me as particularly problematic in any of the interpretations, as long as you remember it is only an interpretation. 

Learn more here

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for your honest review!
    Blessings,
    andrea

    PS: Sitka has an award for you at All Gods Creatures.
    http://andrealuvsallgodscreatures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey SB

    This intrigued me:

    "Together they are helping young people fall in love with the Scriptures"

    In light of my situation with my oldest son...do you think this would be good for us/him? (not that he is an avid reader, but I could pick it up and read it first)

    Let me know!

    Oh, and just had to let you know that you are not the only one who is not Twittering! LOL I just can't wrap my head around it all.....*sigh*....this coming from someone who just starting an unlimited texting plan about 6 months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of the language is clearer, but not always simpler. I don't know if I really agree that it is more focused on youth.

    John 1:1-3 "Before time itself was measured, the Voice was speaking. The Voice was and is God. This celestial Voice remained ever present with the Creator; His speech shaped the entire cosmos. Immersed in the practice of creating, all things that exist were birthed in Him."

    Not sure this is any more relevant to a young person than "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning.
    Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made." (NIV)

    But it does have lots of useful features, such as the fact that most of the dialogue is in screenplay format (yes, like a script) and that they sometimes stick in little 'screen directions' to clarify.

    ~*Michelle*~, I really don't know. It sounds like you've got a boy with a passion for the Lord, but a troubled heart; and I don't know what difference a different "word" is going to make. This still reads like a bible, but might be more appealing to newer coverts, and those questioning.

    A verse you used :
    2 Corinthians 6:14 "Don't develop partnerships with those who are not followers of the Liberating King. For what real connection can exist between righteousness and rebellion? How can light participate in darkness?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh My Word!

    I'm reading the quote above and... John 1:1 has been completely massacred. So much meaning has been injected into the text that it ceases to convey God’s intent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to tell you I've only noticed a ton of your snarky sharky comments (seriously bad joke) on other blogs, so I had to check out the infamous sharkbait. I've now RSS'd you. And I mean that in the least creepy way.

    I'm not stalking you.

    I'm merely lurking you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me? Snarky?

    Perish the thought. :-)

    But I'm still not going on twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "As always, they took a huge risk, because I am not easily impressed."

    Dang, that's funny.

    And I agree with your assertion that we should adapt ourselves to the Bible and not the other way around. I've always felt the same. Never quite managed to say it as well as you did, though.

    ReplyDelete

Say Hoo Ha Ha!