Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Biblios Hokku - Jeremiah & Lamentations

If I love the book of Isaiah, then I think I love the person of Jeremiah. He is one of my favourite prophets in the Bible, and one I can really relate to. For those of you who don't know, Jeremiah was given the un-enviable job of prophesying to the Kingdom of Judah that they must turn from their sin or they will be destroyed.

We don't know exactly how old Jeremiah was, but it was probably early twenties, or younger. At such a young age, GOD sends him to tell an entire nation it is under Divine Judgement.

Ouch.

I often found comfort in his words as a young(er) man, when I felt like crying "I am too young for this God." Despite his pleas of "I am too young", God reminds him that He chose him for this job before he was even born, and that he would give him the words. No wonder every utterance he makes is preceded by "The Lord said unto me..."

Truly a man in touch with God, and not afraid to be used.

After the fall of Judah, he chose to stay behind in the destroyed Kingdom, rather than live in luxury in the land of their captors. The book of Lamentations is also attributed to him, wherein the writer laments their fall, but reminds them that God still offers hope.

JEREMIAH
I chose you for this -
Warn them to turn from their sin.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

LAMENTATIONS
How lost is Judah,
but great is Thy faithfulness.
Restore us to you.

2 comments:

  1. Jeremiah touches a deep place in my soul. Okay if I share the passage that gets me most, especially as a writer?

    O LORD, You induced me, and I was persuaded;
    You are stronger than I, and have prevailed.
    I am in derision daily; Everyone mocks me...
    Then I said, "I will not make mention of Him,
    Nor speak anymore in His name."
    But His word was in my heart like a burning fire
    Shut up in my bones;
    I was weary of holding it back,
    And I could not.

    ~ Jeremiah 20:7,9

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude, you totally rock with these. I know I told you that many times....but, WOW!

    ReplyDelete

Say Hoo Ha Ha!