We continued our Fruit of the Spirit series with Goodness.
Think about “good coffee “or “a good book” or “a good nap.”
Why do we call it good?
I think it means… it did what it was supposed to do.
If we look at Genesis 1, we see the same line over and over,
“…. And God looked at what he had created, and it was good.”
I think goodness for us is about being the person that God wants us to be, and made us to be. It is about doing what we are supposed to do, and being who we are supposed to be.
Who or what did God create us to be?
- · We were created for love
- · We were created for kindness
- · We were destined for salvation
- · We were created to become like Him
- · We were created to seek a relationship with him.
Sometimes Goodness seems a lot like Kindness. However there are differences:
- Kindness is about helping, goodness is about doing the right thing.
- Kindness gives a man bread, goodness does something about hunger.
- Kindness reaches out a hand, goodness reaches out a heart.
Goodness is measured by how well we do what God calls us to do, and being who he wants us to be. It grows not from being perfect, or never sinning, but from being a person who seeks God’s way every day.
Goodness is Godness. We become Good as we become more like God.
What do you think Goodness means?