Wednesday, March 5, 2014

FISH for Lent

If you have been following my blog for a few years, you will know that I have a mixed approach to Lent. 

I don’t do lent in the sense of fasting or giving up something.  (Usually)

tn-1

What I normally do is decide what I need to do or change about my life for the next 40 days that will help me to be more focussed on God, and feel closer to Him on Resurrection Sunday.

Sometimes that involves giving up something, like sleep or reading, so that I can use that time for prayer.  Sometimes it involves just being intentional about focusing on something relevant to my walk with God each day.

morningroutine

This year, I will be revisiting an old project of mine.  About four years ago, I wrote a Haiku for each book of the Bible.  I called this project Biblios Hokku, because it sounded snobbish and pretentious.  (Actually there were/are good reasons, but that doesn’t mean I wasn’t also being pretentious.)

So this year, I will be looking back at each book of the Old Testament, one day at a time.  I will spend some time meditating on each book, and on what it means to me as a part of the whole Bible.  I will take the day to think about the message of that book.

In this way, I hope to get through the whole Old Testament by Easter.
(Not reading all of it, but looking at how it fits together.)

One of the interesting things that I noticed when I was reading the Bible to do the Biblios Hokku was how we often miss the recurring themes and messages of the whole Bible when we jump around and read some books and leave others.  Being “forced” to consider them all, in order, makes new truths jump out, and reinforces old ones.

As usual, I will not be posting the Lent Posts here. Rather I will do them on a separate, dedicated, blog called FISH for Lent. If you are interested in sharing this journey with me, then I invite you to swim over there and have a look around.     

Just a little something to whet your appetite…

Biblios Hokku
By faith, for service
our worth only in His eyes
we are saved for Him.

If you want to find out what this poem means for me, visit http://lentfish.blogspot.com

Dave Walker's The Lent Group

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Join my little Lent Group…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say Hoo Ha Ha!