Friday, June 22, 2012

Friday Fruit–Patience

ffthumb

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. (Galatians 5:22-23)

Patience my young Padawan (Star Wars)


I think that with the exception of Love, this might be the scariest area to be grown in. God grows love by putting us with unlovely people. And he grows patience by putting us in situations where we are tempted to not be patient.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.
(James 1:2-3)

Temptation often starts when we are drawn to something (desire) and ends when we give in to that desire (action). The purpose of patience is learning not to give into that desire, or to seek its fulfilment elsewhere.

For years I desired a suitable marriage partner, which is a noble desire. However the temptation was to look for that person in the wrong place, or to accept someone who was less suited for me. I had to have patience, and faith, that God had the perfect person planned for me. And he did. I could never have found a more perfect wife than the one I have if I had tried for 100 years. I was patient, and God rewarded that patience.

Of course God also throws bad drivers and annoying clients in my path daily in an effort to teach me about patience in those areas, and I am still learning.

Patience grows in our lives as we let go of trying to find our own solutions to problems, and seek God’s solutions. This is why it is linked to faith, because if we can’t accept that there is a solution, we might be tempted to go our own way.

What do you think patience means?  Join me in the discussion about patience, and the other Spiritual Fruit.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say Hoo Ha Ha!