Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I'm back

Did you miss me?
I have been gone since last week Thursday to the Might Men Conference '09 in Greytown, South Africa. What an experience!
The organisers estimated attendance at 200,000 before the conference. I think it was closer to 300,000 actually. But it's not about the numbers, it's about the lives being changed. On the first night, thousands (literally) of men put up their hands to make their first public confession of faith in Jesus. And on the second. And on the third day as well.
Thousands. It was amazing.
Also amazing is the faith and commitment from the farmers, who allowed their fields to go unplanted for a year, so that over 100,000 men could camp in tents, and attend one of the biggest gatherings ever seen.
The event was slightly marred by the fact that the organiser, Angus Buchan, and the man we had all come to see, collapsed at 11AM with a suspected heart-attack. What was amazing to see though was the response. 100,000 odd men gathering at the main stage area to pray for him while we waited for the helicopter to come an air-lift him. And praise the lord, the emergency helicopter went away empty. He was taken for tests, and in his own words. "They tested me a few times, and then asked me to leave" Another miracle.
I am fianlly back home, catching up with all my e-mails and a week of blog posts to comment on. I think I have finally scrubbed all the Kwa-Zulu Natal dust off of me, and am shiny and fresh again.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed your trip- sounds like an awesome experience.

    We missed you on SIlly Saturday back at my place.

    THIS WEEK. Be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow... um... i honestly thought you were a friend of mine from here in arizona, a guy who would write in a very similar style to what you are writing, with a last name that would indicate ownership of such a blog. but you are from south africa. that's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard! You mean all this time you have been following my blog it was because you thought I was someone else? That is so funny. And here I thought it was because of my style and flair. :-)

    Sorry to disappoint you, but I am a South African, and I have never even visited Arizona. (Although I hear it is not as cool as Texas.)

    <-SB><

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm, Why didn't I read this before posting comments on the previous entry?

    What was the gist of what Angus said?

    How did they cater for you (as a fish) at the grounds? I'm thinking large fresh water tanks?

    ReplyDelete

Say Hoo Ha Ha!